Conference Upgraded for K&BDN Show in
Baltimore, MD An expanded and upgraded educational conference
highlighted by more than 40 individual programs, including
seminars, show-floor workshops and all-day pre-show sessions has
been announced for the 9th annual Kitchen & Bath Design Expo,
set for Baltimore this fall.
The Sept. 30-Oct. 2 event, co-sponsored by Kitchen & Bath
Design News and the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association, will
take place as in the past years at the Baltimore Convention
“It’s no exaggeration to say that the best educational program in
the kitchen and bath industry has just gotten even better,” said
K&BDN editorial director and publisher Eliot Sefrin, who serves
as conference chairman.
“Our seminars and workshops are relevant to the needs of today’s
kitchen and bath dealers and designers, professional remodelers,
cabinet shop owners and other leading specifiers,” Sefrin said.
“They’re taught by the leading instructors and educators in the
industry and provide practical, nuts-and-bolts ideas that attendees
can take home and translate immediately into additional profit for
The show’s 90-minute seminars, according to Sefrin, have been
devised around six distinct tracks: kitchen and bath design;
business management; sales and marketing; cabinet shops;
technology, and a special track for professional residential
remodelers. Both the remodelers’ track and the technology track are
new to this year’s show, Sefrin said.
In addition, a series of special, in-depth “focus workshops” will
address key topics, and a pair of show-floor workshops will provide
attendees with tips on installation and fabrication.
There will also be a series of all- and half-day programs prior to
the trade show with topics to cover kitchen and bath design,
showroom management, business management and sales/marketing,
What follows is a list of the seminar topics, by track:
KITCHEN/BATH DESIGN TRACK (D SERIES)
- Making a Distinct Statement: Kitchen & Bath “Theme”
- Building Bigger Bucks Into Bath Jobs.
- The Art & Science of Visual Texture.
- Leaving a Mark: Developing Your Own Unique Design
- Gaining Religion: Avoiding the Cardinal Sins of Kitchen &
- Outside the Box: Non-Traditional Approaches to Kitchen
- Unlimited Creativity on a Shoestring Budget.
- Design Tradeoffs: Delivering the Project Your Clients Want
Within Their Budget.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT TRACK (M SERIES)
- Tips for Accurately Estimating & Pricing Jobs.
- Added Value to the Worth of Your Business.
- Effective Compensation Programs for Today’s
- Branching Out: How Diversification Can Build More
- Successful Strategies for Improving Your Company’s
- How Consumer Financing Can Boost Your Bottom Line.
- Management Survival Tips For the New Millennium.
- Eliminating Personnel Conflict & Turnover in Your
SALES & MARKETING TRACK (S SERIES)
- Creating Special Events That Are Really Special.
- Generating Greater Profits From the Jobs You Sell.
- “Monster” Clients & How to Tame Them.
- Winning the Price War Without Lowering Your Price.
- The Team Approach: The Future of Kitchen & Bath
- Tire Kickers: How to Find Them & Give Them the
- The Most Common Sales Mistakes & How to Avoid
- Finding Clients You Never Even Knew Were There.
SPECIAL REMODELERS TRACK (R SERIES)
- Managing Big Jobs & Multiple Projects.
- High-Yield, Low-Cost Marketing Strategies for the Remodeling
- Getting the Most Out of Your Subcontractors.
- Uncovering Hidden Profits in Custom Remodeling Jobs.
- Lean & Mean: Creating a Remodeling Firm That’s
Small But Smart.
- Making Your Mark Outside the Home.
CABINET SHOP TRACK
- Successful Sales & Marketing Strategies for Today’s Cabinet
- Spreading Your Wings:New Market Niches for the Cabinet
- Reinventing Your Shop to Meet Tomorrow’s New
- Untangling the Web:A Sane Approach to Finally Getting On
- Marketing Your Design/ Remodeling Firm on the
- Going High Tech: The Newest Tools for Boosting Your
Productivity & Image.
- LIGHTING/Showing Your Work in a Far Better Light.
- MANAGEMENT/Making the Grade: A Report Card for Your
- INSTALLATION/Working More Profitably & Productively With
- DESIGN/Successful Kitchen & Bath Projects: A Dozen Keys to
Turning a Profit.
- FINANCE/Your Profit: Planning for It, Protecting It and Growing
- Trouble-Shooting Techniques for Solid Surface
- Common Cabinet Installation Errors & Tips for How to Avoid
Advertisements in Kitchen & Bath Design News, as well as direct
mail to K&BDN readers in the region surrounding Baltimore will
carry details about the trade show and conference as they
Additional information about the Kitchen & Bath Design Expo
educational program or information about exhibiting at the 1999
show can be obtained by contacting the trade show division of
Kitchen & Bath Design News’ parent company, Cygnus Publishing,
at (516) 845-2700, extension 243.