Dealers Urged to Stop the Selling and Just ‘Let the
You have a kitchen or bath prospect standing in front of you,
you have reams of information on the products and services your
company offers, and you have an upbeat, optimistic attitude.
So, what’s the most important thing you can do, for yourself and
for the potential client?
The truth is, people don’t like to be sold. They like to buy.
When it’s you who is doing all of the talking, you are depriving
them of their fun.
What can you do to avoid falling into this trap? The most
important thing is to watch for these warning signs to see if you
are a poor listener.
- Do you spend more time talking to the customer than you spend
listening to him or her?
- Do you frequently interrupt?
- Do you give people who speak to you any sign you are
- Do you finish other people’s sentences?
- Do you change the topics of conversation from what the other
person says to what interests you?
- Do you daydream when people speak to you?
- Do you plan your response while the other person is
- Do you interrupt people who speak slowly?
- Do you ask more than one question at a time?
- Do you answer a question with a question?
- Are you easily distracted during a conversation?
There’s a big difference between hearing and listening. You hear
with your ears, but you listen with your eyes and your
One of the best ways to learn to listen is to pretend you will
have to write a report of what your prospect said after the
meeting. This can help you focus more carefully on what he or she
In fact, taking notes is an excellent way to signal to the other
person that you really are listening. Ask your prospects if they
mind if you take notes. Underline the important parts and read
anything you don’t understand back until you do. At the key points,
summarize what has just been said to confirm that you did, indeed,
Lastly, don’t be afraid of silence. Silence is an ally. It
encourages your prospect to talk.
As the old saying goes, you have two ears and one mouth for a
purpose. That’s also about the right proportion you should be using
them. Don’t talk yourself out of sales.